Spinach & Strawberry Salad
Serves 6 (or 3)
· 7 - 10 (4 - 5) cups fresh Baby Spinach* (washed, dried and stems removed, tear large pieces)
· 5 (2.5) cups local strawberries, sliced*
· 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (or candied almonds)
· 1/2 (1/4) cup crumbled feta cheese* (can use more)
DRESSING - left overs okay or reduce quantity
· 1/2 (1/4) cup vegetable oil
· 1/4 (1/8) cupb balsamic vinegar (or use raspberry or white wine vinegar but never plain white vinegar)
· 1/4 (1/3) cup wite sugar*
· 1 pinch paprika
· 1-2 (1) Tbsp. poppy seed
In a large bowl toss the spinach with the strawberries and toasted almonds. In another small bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients according to chosen recipe size, starting with 1/4 cup (or just a touch) of sugar and adding in more to taste, then pour over the spinach; toss to combine. Sprinkle the feta over the top of salad. Serve immediately.
Experiment: Try pecans or goat feta. Eliminate sugar and use shredded stevia leaves. Different oil will change your dressing significantly. Ratio is usually 2:1 oil/vinegar.
* In sale flyer. Watch for downtown Strawberry Fest June 17 - 30!